While Xiaomi’s MIUI is one of the best forked version of Android out there, the company is quite slow in updating the based version in MIUI.
Xiaomi recently started rolling out its latest update – MIUI 7, which is based on Android Lollipop even though Google already announced Android 6.0 Marshmallow.
If you are using Xiaomi’s Mi 3 or Mi 4 smartphone and wish to try out Android’s latest version, we’ve got you covered.
Developer Ivan has released Android 6.0 AOSP Custom ROM for Mi4 and Mi3 and in this tutorial, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Mi3 and Mi4.
Before proceeding, do not that the camera is not working in the current version of the ROM but the video mode is working fine. Other than all, all other functionality is claimed to be working.
Install TWRP Recovery on Mi 3 / Mi 4
If you already have TWRP recovery installed on your phone, skip this procedure.
- Download recovery file (link)
- Now, go to Settings > Updater. From the options menu, tap on “Select update package” and select the downloaded file.
- Reboot you phone. You will now have TWRP recovery installed.
Now, download the following file:
How To Install Android 6.0 Marshmallow on Mi 3 and Mi 4
- Reboot your phone in recovery mode.
- From the menu, select Wipe > Advanced > Wipe data and cache. Confirm.
- Now, go back and select ‘Install’.
- Select the downloaded Android 6.0 image file.
- Once the flashing processor is done, repeat step 3 and this time, select the Google Apps package.
- Now, reboot your phone.
That’s it. Your phone is now running on Android 6.0 Marshmallow.